Saturday, September 18, 2010

All Outcasts Unite!

                 The novel Outcasts United was written by a man named Warren St. John. When I came to southern for orientation I was handed this book and I was told to do read the entire chapter one, and this was homework for orientation. Not expecting to have to do any work, I was slightly annoyed hearing this. Then while discussing it the next day we were told we were going to have to read it as our “summer homework”. Now this really didn’t sound good to me because I didn’t think that college students did summer reading homework assignments, unless they wanted to have a heads up of the class.
                 Now onto the book, reading the first chapter slightly got me into this book. I thought this might not be that bad of a summer reading assignment after all. Then as I read it, it seemed to trail on and on. While talking about the book with some other people from my orientation group they told me he was a reporter and he did a ton of research while he wrote this book. That just clearly showed me why it seemed to trail on and on. He put so much research into this book.
                 I believe he did a good job, but the book was a little too much for me. I enjoyed the first chapter, when he describes the Fugees, and begins telling of Luma’s style of coaching. I thought everything about it was pretty interesting. The great diversity of the group and the great amount of respect that they had for each other really blew me away. Although I didn’t like the fact that I had to read this during the summer, I really did think the book was very unique and affected the way I look at some things.

No comments:

Post a Comment