Saturday, November 20, 2010

Leading the Team



I had a very big time to be a leader, and it really helped me learn a little more about responsibility, and how your actions can affect other people and really help them. When I was a swimmer back in high school, as a senior, I had to help lead the team in the right direction, make sure they were all doing the right thing, no goofing off and no breaking the rules. I watched over the team whenever we went to other schools for swim meets because we had to be on our best behavior and show respect to the other team, because in the end we are all equals and we are entering their home, we cannot be disrespectful. In the end the team we went to face that day will remember us as a team who won with respect and appreciated them, or a team who lost but is respectful.
Leadership in this sense may seem a bit easy, or like a captain’s job. But while I was not a captain, they had their hands plenty full with all the other important things, like financing the team, etc. However, leading this team was actually pretty hard and not your average cup of tea, because our team seem to have plenty of people who did not like to follow the rules, or liked to goof off especially when in front of other teams. Watching over them was almost like watching a batch of children who would constantly scream.
Definitely from leading this team I learned all the important values of being a leader. This was a difficult team to lead, and I happen to pull it off by myself and I am proud of myself for that. I believe I did a good job, and turned everyone the right way, and they will remember those values even when their swim career is over and they will carry those traits on forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment