Saturday, December 4, 2010

A side order of friends please


When I started high school I was in part of the high school called freshman academy. It was basically the same thing that this learning community is. In my English, social studies, science, and math class I had all the same students. So whenever the next subject would come I would already know everyone who was in my class. Then the year after that, I was once again in a sophomore academy, where everyone in my classes was the same students. After a while this became a little annoying as it was hurting my chances of becoming friends with a lot of new people through high school.
I can say this though, I am glad that I have the same people in my composition and in my inquiry class together because it helped me build a stronger bond and make some more new friends. I feel if it was like high school and they were in every single one of my classes then I would be slightly annoyed because its college and I definitely want to meet new people along the way. It also made my experiences in the class a little more comfortable because I am more friends with everyone in my learning community. For my math class, I don’t really have friends in there, so if something funny happens, I actually feel a little awkward laughing or making my own joke because I am afraid I am going to look like a weirdo or be put down in some way. So I definitely think this helped me open up more and meet new people, and I am glad that it wasn’t just like high school all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment